Infested : a survival horror and investigation game

Announcements and news updates to your projects using Urho3D.
Forum rules
If you have images or videos, you can attach them in the showcase post. Please use small thumbnail as link to original media resources.
When you post in this forum, you have to agree that Urho3D main website as well as the Facebook page have the permission to republish your post with all the related images or videos. The original images must have width larger than 890px for best viewing result in all the supported viewports by main website.

Infested : a survival horror and investigation game

PostPosted by Dave82 » 21 Sep 2015, 17:00

Hi everyone . i'm working on a game for a long time now (5-6 months in my spare time) , and i thought maybe i should post it's current state. First of all few words about the game :

Infested is a survival horror and investigation game where you have to solve some cool puzzles, and collect clues.Actually if you liked the OLD Resident Evil games (RE2 , RE3 , Code Veronica) then you'll probably like this one too.

The story in nuthshell : Scientists made a great leap in quantum physics , they discovered a way to open portals to paralell universes , but the experiment went horribly wrong... the rules of space and time became all scrambled and some evil creatures invaded our side. Your mission is to close the portal and save the world...

EDIT 06.11.2016
New video !

Here are some screenshots :
ImageImageImageImage

EDIT 13.04.2016
Weapon test

Some differences between Resident evil and Infested :
-TPS camera view instead of fixed cam angle.
- Puzzles are dynamic.While in RE they are just 2d sprites in infested they are interactive 3d objects (Rotate valve handles by dragging them or pressing switches etc)
Last edited by Dave82 on 10 Dec 2016, 20:59, edited 19 times in total.
Infested : An old school puzzle solving survival horror game :
topic1430.html

Infested Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/infestedgame
Dave82
Active user
Active user

Re: Infested : a survival horror and investigation game

PostPosted by TikariSakari » 21 Sep 2015, 17:29

The video looked really cool, and you've managed to build quite a big world in half a year. Something that caught my eye on the video was when you picked up an item, you had to move the mouse to the confirm button. I think a lot of new games use some activate button like E or F for confirming their action to make it a bit easier for the player. You might have something like that already implemented, but just thought bringing it up. I also liked how the cross hair changed to hand on things that you could pick up or use like doors.
Good luck with the project in the future.
TikariSakari
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by codingmonkey » 21 Sep 2015, 17:45

It is very impressive
And how did you create this transition between two scenes? when doors opened... black screen... and we see new room (scene)
codingmonkey
Have many posts
Have many posts

PostPosted by Mike » 21 Sep 2015, 19:04

Looks great :)
Mike

PostPosted by sabotage3d » 21 Sep 2015, 20:04

Looks amazing :) Would you reveal some of the techniques that you used ?
sabotage3d
Have many posts
Have many posts

PostPosted by rasteron » 21 Sep 2015, 20:16

Looking good so far and great job on the gameplay elements. Your demo scene and mentioning 'evil creatures' reminds me of the game Alan Wake though. ;)

As for improving the video quality, try the ff:

-MPEG4 (DivX, Xvid, H.264) format
-1280x720 resolution or 1080p
-128k Mono or 320k Stereo MP3/AAC audio
-24,25 or 30 frames per second

If you have NVidia card then just use ShadowPlay.

Keep it up!
rasteron
Have many posts
Have many posts

PostPosted by thebluefish » 21 Sep 2015, 21:28

Hot damn, looking good so far!
something something signature here

Code: Select all
DVIS_> i just formatted the only copy of my pgp master and recovery keys
thebluefish
Most active user
Most active user

PostPosted by gwald » 21 Sep 2015, 22:36

:o Very impressive! :mrgreen:
gwald
Some active
Some active

PostPosted by weitjong » 22 Sep 2015, 01:38

Amazing. After watching the video to the end at full screen, it did not give me a slightest motion sickness. i.e. you have done a great job at adjusting the FOV or something. Are you also the one who create those game assets? They look believable.
YaoWT - Leave no window unbroken ♪ (^。^) 
weitjong
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by Dave82 » 22 Sep 2015, 04:57

Thanks for everyone :)

TikariSakari wrote:Something that caught my eye on the video was when you picked up an item, you had to move the mouse to the confirm button. I think a lot of new games use some activate button like E or F for confirming their action to make it a bit easier for the player. You might have something like that already implemented, but just thought bringing it up.

Well i've just thought the same thing and yes you are right i will change that...

sabotage3d wrote:Would you reveal some of the techniques that you used ?

Ofcourse ! :)

codingmonkey wrote:It is very impressive
And how did you create this transition between two scenes? when doors opened... black screen... and we see new room (scene)

It's very simple.At segment change i just release all the resources in the current segment and load the new one.It is extremely fast and ensures you can have literally unlimited levels. Most of the entities are derived from Urho3D::Node
So this way i can do recursive things in the scene (destroying resources recursively or load them)
I have a base class called INFNode which is derived from Urho3D::Node and has few virtual methods like :

// Loads this node's static data from a file
virtual void onInitialize(Urho3D::File &fie);

// Builds this node (called when player enters in the segment)
virtual void onBuild();

// Destroys everything associated with this node but keeps the node "alive"
virtual void onDestroy();

// called by projectiles in the scene returns true if the projectile should be stopped (destroyed)
virtual bool onBulletHit(float damage, Urho3D::Vector3 &dir, Urho3D::PODVector<Urho3D::RayQueryResult> &allResults);

So from this INFNode i have various other node types like :
INFDynamicMesh - holds a StaticModel component which is loaded at onBuild() and destroyed at onDestroy()
INFItem - holds a StaticModel and quatity
etc

and finally i have a INFSegment which simply calls onBuild() onDestroy() onInitialize() on it's children recursively
Thanks to this technique i have an extremely clean and easy to read code , and its really fast (loading a segment with 37000-38000 poly's is literally a blink of an eye)

weitjong wrote:Amazing. After watching the video to the end at full screen, it did not give me a slightest motion sickness. i.e. you have done a great job at adjusting the FOV or something. Are you also the one who create those game assets? They look believable.

Thanks ! Well it's the fov and the player's move speed and i set the character controller's friction and mass at very low value. Actually setting the friction to 0 and the mass to 0.5 gives by far the best result unfortunately it has some issues that come from physics simulation (very thin objects on the floor like a sheet of a paper can block the player like theres a wall)

Regarding to level design and modelling , yes i did everything myself (except that revolver which is only placeholder for now , but i have already a bunch of weapons ready just need to create animations for them)
Infested : An old school puzzle solving survival horror game :
topic1430.html

Infested Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/infestedgame
Dave82
Active user
Active user

Next

Return to Showcase