Hellbreaker - FPS game

Announcements and news updates to your projects using Urho3D.
Forum rules
If you have images or videos, you can attach them in the showcase post. Please use small thumbnail as link to original media resources.
When you post in this forum, you have to agree that Urho3D main website as well as the Facebook page have the permission to republish your post with all the related images or videos. The original images must have width larger than 890px for best viewing result in all the supported viewports by main website.

Hellbreaker - FPS game

PostPosted by Enhex » 06 Jan 2016, 15:07

A first person shooter focusing on agility-based combat, compared to cover-based combat.
In cover-based combat most enemies will have attacks which are impossible to dodge (f.e. bullets), so damage is inevitable. A common kludge to this design flaw is to let the player run behind cover and regenerate health.
In agility-based combat, all enemy attacks are dodgeable, so if the player is agile enough he can avoid all damage.

Designed to have excellent modding support.
Level editor, modifiable and extensible monsters, weapons, pickups, and projectiles with flexible API.

Video:
Last edited by Enhex on 18 Apr 2016, 23:25, edited 7 times in total.
Enhex
Most active user
Most active user

Re: Hellbreaker

PostPosted by Nerrik » 06 Jan 2016, 17:42

nice work :)
Nerrik
New user
New user

PostPosted by Bananaft » 06 Jan 2016, 18:33

Really cool. Congratulations on your milestone!

What lighting technique you are using here?
Bananaft
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by Enhex » 06 Jan 2016, 18:37

Bananaft wrote:Really cool. Congratulations on your milestone!

What lighting technique you are using here?

Deferred lighting. Most lights are shadowless points.
Enhex
Most active user
Most active user

PostPosted by Bananaft » 06 Jan 2016, 22:05

Enhex wrote:Deferred lighting. Most lights are shadowless points.

So, MSAA setting does nothing then :)

Some places look very nice. Keep up the good work.
Bananaft
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by codingmonkey » 06 Jan 2016, 22:09

This is absolutely great!
So how yours level are builded? Did you use modularity for level assets or you are use one solid mesh for rooms ?
Did you trying use occluder option for walls to speed up rendering ?
Do you planning use shadows ?
codingmonkey
Have many posts
Have many posts

PostPosted by rasteron » 07 Jan 2016, 05:44

Nice! this reminds me of Doom :)
rasteron
Have many posts
Have many posts

PostPosted by Enhex » 07 Jan 2016, 07:00

codingmonkey wrote:This is absolutely great!
So how yours level are builded? Did you use modularity for level assets or you are use one solid mesh for rooms ?
Did you trying use occluder option for walls to speed up rendering ?
Do you planning use shadows ?

I'm not using modularity, I don't like it because it limits the level design and things tend to look the same. I have my own level editor which has similar workflow to BSP-based editors.

Yes I am using occluder option to speed up rendering for level geometry, since it's made from, relatively few, big triangles.

I am using shadows only with directional light and level geometry for now. I might use billboards for enemies so shadows won't be used anyway later on.
I'd like to use lightmaps + light probes.

rasteron wrote:Nice! this reminds me of Doom :)

Game design is inspired by it.
Enhex
Most active user
Most active user

PostPosted by Bananaft » 08 Jan 2016, 12:22

Enhex wrote:I'd like to use lightmaps + light probes.

Why? Why so many people want to use baked lighting? It's a lot of work to build and support, it's hard to work with, has lots of limitations, requires rebaking on every change in the level. And all that for pale, washy, inexpressive and absolutely static result.

While with deferred lighting you can have flickering and blinker lights, moving lights, put a point-light on every projectile, weapon flash, hit effect, you can make every light on the level breakable, you can have enemies with flashlights looking for the player in the dark.
Bananaft
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by Enhex » 08 Jan 2016, 12:34

Bananaft wrote:Why? Why so many people want to use baked lighting? It's a lot of work to build and support, it's hard to work with, has lots of limitations, requires rebaking on every change in the level. And all that for pale, washy, inexpressive and absolutely static result.

While with deferred lighting you can have flickering and blinker lights, moving lights, put a point-light on every projectile, weapon flash, hit effect, you can make every light on the level breakable, you can have enemies with flashlights looking for the player in the dark.

Dynamic and static lights aren't mutually exclusive.

With baked lights you can do expensive stuff like bouncing light, glowing surfaces and more. The result will be much better looking.
From aesthetics point of view real time lights are the limited option.
With light probes you can use the lightmaps to light dynamic objects, which will take into account bounced lights and such.

There are ways to turn on/off baked lights, AFAIK you could have 2 versions of the affected lightmap parts and switch between them or something like that.
Or you could just use dynamic lights in that case.

Also while in development you don't have to rebake the lightmap every time, or at least not in high quality.
Enhex
Most active user
Most active user

Next

Return to Showcase