Rendering Improvements [WIP]

Announcements and news updates to your projects using Urho3D.
Forum rules
If you have images or videos, you can attach them in the showcase post. Please use small thumbnail as link to original media resources.
When you post in this forum, you have to agree that Urho3D main website as well as the Facebook page have the permission to republish your post with all the related images or videos. The original images must have width larger than 890px for best viewing result in all the supported viewports by main website.

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by dragonCASTjosh » 10 Jul 2016, 16:57

sabotage3d wrote:The Panda3D PBR looks quite impressive for still frames. When I look at the Render Pipeline it looks all python based, sounds like bad performance.


Its performance is not to bad as there is a C++ backed.

dwlcj wrote:I Found advanced RenderPipeline In Panda3D


I have been talking a fair bit the developer of RP to find faults and improvements with my PBR solution.

rasteron wrote:Sounds good. In a related topic, pointing to this issue where you guys were proposing BGFX as the renderer, I think it would be a better choice moving forward but I see there's also a lot at stake on this matter. Just a thought.


My main reasoning behind it is because it would lower the requirements when working on the renderer without taking away developer control.




On a side note i looked into Ambient Occlusion but settled with the best solution being backed for this there will likely need to be a lightmap generator that also handles AO.
User avatar
dragonCASTjosh
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 18:59

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by cadaver » 10 Jul 2016, 19:41

On subject of bgfx still: on the other hand if you find something it can't do or where there's a mismatch or annoyance for Urho usecase, it could be a lot harder to get those hypothetical changes approved in bgfx, instead of working within Urho's "inhouse" rendering code.
User avatar
cadaver
Urho3D author
Urho3D author
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: 16 Jan 2014, 14:52
Location: Finland

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by dragonCASTjosh » 10 Jul 2016, 19:51

cadaver wrote:On subject of bgfx still: on the other hand if you find something it can't do or where there's a mismatch or annoyance for Urho usecase, it could be a lot harder to get those hypothetical changes approved in bgfx, instead of working within Urho's "inhouse" rendering code.


i think the main reason it keeps getting brought up is not because Urho's renderer is bad or slow, i think its because developer have to write features multiple times. for example for my PBR i had to write it once for DirectX forward, do a half write for Deferred, then i have to do a Port to GL forward then do the GL deferred, and its alot of rewriting the same feature

also do you have some kind of alert go off every time bgfx is mentioned :D
User avatar
dragonCASTjosh
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 18:59

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by cadaver » 10 Jul 2016, 20:03

Well that's the shaders which you had to write multiple times.

No I don't have an alarm for bgfx, but now I'm actually expecting its author to appear in this thread :)
User avatar
cadaver
Urho3D author
Urho3D author
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: 16 Jan 2014, 14:52
Location: Finland

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by dragonCASTjosh » 10 Jul 2016, 20:08

cadaver wrote:Well that's the shaders which you had to write multiple times.

No I don't have an alarm for bgfx, but now I'm actually expecting its author to appear in this thread :)


the simplest way to solve the shader issue is just write some preprocessor change the syntax of one of the languages but this is likely not a good long term solution. Vulkans spirv may be the best solution
User avatar
dragonCASTjosh
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 18:59

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by rasteron » 11 Jul 2016, 00:42

To be quite honest, the current renderer works really well. The only thing that I haven't tested yet are the limits, quality and performance on an average android and other mobile devices.

I'm quite comfortable just using OpenGL/ES and GLSL, it's just a matter of preference I guess plus it works cross-platform with some tweaks.
User avatar
rasteron
Have many posts
Have many posts
 
Posts: 437
Joined: 07 Mar 2014, 07:46
Location: web

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by dragonCASTjosh » 11 Jul 2016, 16:29

rasteron wrote:I'm quite comfortable just using OpenGL/ES and GLSL, it's just a matter of preference I guess plus it works cross-platform with some tweaks.


This works on the game side features in shaders but when it comes to adding engine features like PBR i have to write it multiple times, it is just a little annoying as i have rebuilt my PBR system from scratch a few times and i have had to write dx at least 5 times and every time started porting to gl before i found improvements to my solution. if the shaders where unified i could just do the initial rewites and leave it at that
User avatar
dragonCASTjosh
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 18:59

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by dragonCASTjosh » 18 Jul 2016, 21:26

User avatar
dragonCASTjosh
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 205
Joined: 04 Aug 2015, 18:59

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by sabotage3d » 18 Jul 2016, 21:39

Looks good, nice work.
User avatar
sabotage3d
Have many posts
Have many posts
 
Posts: 515
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 13:26

Re: Rendering Improvements [WIP]

PostPosted by dwlcj » 18 Jul 2016, 23:55

Very nice!
User avatar
dwlcj
New user
New user
 
Posts: 12
Joined: 04 Jul 2016, 03:34

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron