Overhaul Proposal

Everything about the development of Urho3D.

Re: Overhaul Proposal

PostPosted by dragonCASTjosh » 21 Jun 2016, 21:46

Apparently glslang can now convert hlsl into glsl or spirv, both can be loaded with opengl
dragonCASTjosh

PostPosted by rku » 30 Jun 2016, 08:03

Editor really is a mess and thus extensibility or integrability of editor suffers. A clean (like rest of engine code) implementation of editor in c++ would be great addition. I think script editors are really out of scope for game engine, this is job for IDEs. Editor could be integrating with IDE (remote) debuggers instead to provide better experience for developer. I also think terrain editor can be great component. Argument that it is for specific game type thus should not be included makes no sense to me as long as using terrain component is totally optional.
rku
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by cadaver » 30 Jun 2016, 11:44

A new C++ editor is a good idea and often repeated, but it would need a dedicated person or several. In the past I've suggested to make a separate editor project, which would be good for keeping the responsibility separate, but may not be good for adoption. Having the editor come with the engine codebase would make it clear that it's "official". However what I really don't want to see happening is a one-time contribution and dump of a C++ editor into the main codebase, after which the contributor becomes inactive, and the workload for existing maintainers grows. This is a development antipattern which has repeated quite many times in Urho history, and why I'd like to keep my personal maintenance responsibility strictly in the "runtime" part of the engine.
cadaver
Urho3D author
Urho3D author

Previous

Return to Developer Talk