New Logo / Icon

General discussion around Urho3D.

Re: New Logo / Icon

PostPosted by ghidra » 30 Dec 2016, 16:57

I've slept on it. And the more I think about it, I'm not sure that my variant is an improvement.

In fact I feel now, that a proper logo should not try to shoe horn the name into an image.
My current view is that the logo should just be the fish. A fast read of the silhouette perhaps.

Looking at other engines (that also start with a "U"), one is a U, the other is a cube. Urho's should be a fish. A skeletal fish.
ghidra
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by weitjong » 31 Dec 2016, 02:01

ghidra wrote:Looking at other engines (that also start with a "U"), one is a U, the other is a cube. Urho's should be a fish. A skeletal fish.

Why should we care other logos out there look like? IMHO, to be creative also means to be original.
YaoWT - Leave no window unbroken ♪ (^。^) 
weitjong
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by carnalis » 31 Dec 2016, 05:51

weitjong wrote:Why should we care other logos out there look like? IMHO, to be creative also means to be original.

I also think 'easy to read' tends to be a design goal, but I think it is easy enough after a glance. I like these - creative, distinctive, gnarly. 8-)
<Patrician|Away> what does your robot do, sam
<bovril> it collects data about the surrounding environment, then discards it and drives into walls
carnalis

PostPosted by Modanung » 01 Jan 2017, 12:59

ghidra wrote:It's also not without it's issues, and by no means perfect.

Still, nice variation. :)

1vanK wrote:It would be cool if Modanung public images under license that allows free modifying of logo for use modified version logo in projects

Since it's also on LibreGameWiki it is already licensed CC-BY-SA, which allows for this. The same goes for any other version I put here.
for (Person* p : people)
ΞΞΞΞp->StopUsingWindows("https://www.linuxmint.com");
Modanung
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by hd_ » 01 Jan 2017, 22:54

ghidra wrote:Image

I really like this version, it has sophisticated look while at the same time still being both more readable as a fish (living and skeleton) and text. I also think this version gives more room for play, eg you can colour the fish in, shrink it down or scale it up and it still looks good. Put an eye on the fish and it's even more readable, and then you can pull out the 'U' as a separate small logo:

Either way I think the current logo should shift to a white and dark gray rather than black white, the contrast is too harsh.
hd_
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by Modanung » 01 Jan 2017, 23:07

hd_ wrote:while at the same time still being both more readable as a fish (living and skeleton) and text.

Hm, to me the H reads like a K and the O could easily be confused for an E.
hd_ wrote:Either way I think the current logo should shift to a white and dark gray rather than black white, the contrast is too harsh.

Feel free to play around with colour on that one too. It's just a matter of installing Inkscape, in some cases degrouping the logo (Ctrl+Shift+G) and changing the fill colour (Ctrl+Shift+F).
Here's an only-u icon:
And a U3D icon:
Modanung
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by weitjong » 02 Jan 2017, 03:18

I like the "only-U" variant. It would be nice if we have something like that for our site favicon and also as app icon in various sizes. If I may add, I think all the icons should retain the same general shape of the U in the logo and not become slightly skew like it is now. To me, the logo represents a brand. Once we endorse the new logo, we need to enforce it and stick to it, at least on our "officially" linked sites. Just my two cents.
weitjong
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by cadaver » 02 Jan 2017, 08:45

Only-U circle is great. Feel free to pullrequest the icon.
cadaver
Urho3D author
Urho3D author

PostPosted by weitjong » 02 Jan 2017, 10:44

Totally agree. I see Modanung has changed the only-U icon accordingly. Thanks for that.
weitjong
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by Modanung » 02 Jan 2017, 21:21

weitjong wrote:I see Modanung has changed the only-U icon accordingly. Thanks for that.

You're welcome. :)
Modanung
Active user
Active user

Previous

Return to General Discussion