Editor Refactoring

Everything about the development of Urho3D.

Re: Editor Refactoring

PostPosted by boberfly » 16 Dec 2016, 11:16

Not sure if you guys know about this or not, but the Wargaming guys released a nice editor framework based on Qt5:
https://github.com/wgsyd/wgtf
Might make things easier to make this talk to Urho3D.
boberfly
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by Eugene » 16 Dec 2016, 12:48

boberfly wrote:Not sure if you guys know about this or not, but the Wargaming guys released a nice editor framework based on Qt5:

I heard some bad words about their code quality from one ex-employee, sooo...
Questionable.
Eugene
Some active
Some active

PostPosted by boberfly » 17 Dec 2016, 04:31

Eugene wrote:
boberfly wrote:Not sure if you guys know about this or not, but the Wargaming guys released a nice editor framework based on Qt5:

I heard some bad words about their code quality from one ex-employee, sooo...
Questionable.

This is from the Sydney branch, looking at the code it's pretty clean enough and pretty much an empty shell with Qt5 + Python bindings. A friend of mine who works there tipped me off about it.
boberfly
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by Eugene » 17 Dec 2016, 08:31

BTW, I started. I'll share my work when I have relatively stable architecture and some basic functions.

This is from the Sydney branch

It explains a lot. That guy was from Moscow branch.
Eugene
Some active
Some active

PostPosted by xDarkShadowKnightx » 21 Dec 2016, 18:07

A new editor wrote from scratch would be awesome. Is anyone against using Lua, and making it more modular / plugin based? The current editor defines a lot of global variables, which makes name conflicts more probable, and it can make tracking down things more difficult. Especially considering the code base size. And one could argue that Lua is more popular then AngelScript, considering its age and usage through out the industry. So using Lua may make contributing to the editor easier for those who haven't spent the time to learn AngelScript, but have used Lua in the past (or even Javascript). I would be willing to help / lead a rewrite in Lua. Especially since I've switched back to Urho3D from Unity due to bugs with the Unity editor on Linux.
xDarkShadowKnightx
New user
New user

PostPosted by cadaver » 22 Dec 2016, 12:28

Lua as it is in Urho currently has some problems in memory management; I personally would not recommend it over AngelScript. And using C++ still gains you better debugging possibilities, as well as performance.
cadaver
Urho3D author
Urho3D author

PostPosted by xDarkShadowKnightx » 23 Dec 2016, 15:38

If C++ were to be used, I could see it being exposed to the scripting engines so that people writing games in Lua or AngelScript can make use of the editors pre-built functionality.

The issue I see with this is adding easy support for plugins to the Editor. I can see three options:

- Dynamically load plugins as shared libraries at runtime. This is probably the best option. But will make authoring of plugins only available to those with knowledge of C++

- Compile the plugin into the editor. This is less ideal. Since artists who may find a cool plugin that they want to use, would have to compile the editor (which they may not know how to do)

- The core of the editor is wrote in C++, and we add plugin support via Lua / AngelScript. This is less ideal if say, someone wants to make use of the editor functionality in their Lua based game, but want to load in a plugin wrote in AngelScript (we would have to have both scripting languages running)

I'm thinking the dynamic C++ option would be best. But it's going to make it harder for artists, who may only have basic knowledge of Lua / AngelScript, to create plugins for the editor that suit their needs.
xDarkShadowKnightx
New user
New user

PostPosted by rku » 25 Dec 2016, 12:43

Sounds like games could be made only by artists without any programming knowledge which obviously is not true. What you suggest is another gamemaker or unity. To me Urho3D is appealing precisely because it is not gamemaker or unity and because it does not hide innards from me.

My dream would be to have a "libEditor". Imagine you are presented with premade components, scene tree window for example. You manually have to rig your game to call that window but then it would allow you interacting with your scene inside your game. You could hook into various actions of saving/loading/manipulating scene. Now imagine every other component is like that. Imagine you could change model material of character that is passing by in your scene. Essentially it would turn game into editor your game needs. However i do realize this will work for some things and will be totally unfeasible for others. Just like making editor to be usable by non-artists for making entire games. On the other hand if there was such "libEditor" to exist and it was pluggable to the game while actual editor would be based on said lib it could allow some pretty neat flexibility for developers.
rku
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by Victor » 25 Dec 2016, 13:46

rku wrote:Sounds like games could be made only by artists without any programming knowledge which obviously is not true. What you suggest is another gamemaker or unity. To me Urho3D is appealing precisely because it is not gamemaker or unity and because it does not hide innards from me.

My dream would be to have a "libEditor". Imagine you are presented with premade components, scene tree window for example. You manually have to rig your game to call that window but then it would allow you interacting with your scene inside your game. You could hook into various actions of saving/loading/manipulating scene. Now imagine every other component is like that. Imagine you could change model material of character that is passing by in your scene. Essentially it would turn game into editor your game needs. However i do realize this will work for some things and will be totally unfeasible for others. Just like making editor to be usable by non-artists for making entire games. On the other hand if there was such "libEditor" to exist and it was pluggable to the game while actual editor would be based on said lib it could allow some pretty neat flexibility for developers.

I agree that Urho3D is appealing because it's not gamemaker, although I'd say that after coming from Unity (I cannot speak for GameMaker), most of my work was programming with nearly nothing done in the editor. Unity is very flexible when it comes to writing procedural code. Urho, for me, was appealing because my development workflow didn't change from Unity to Urho. This goes for UE4 as well. In my little time with UE4, I tried my best to avoid Blueprints as it wasn't appealing to me. I do believe a great editor can exist without disrupting the workflow of a programmer. :) But yeah, I totally get your concern! The editor shouldn't be needed to build a game.
Victor
Have some posts
Have some posts

PostPosted by Eugene » 28 Dec 2016, 21:51

Huh... It is harder than I imagined. Anyway, this is not a reason to stop.
Eugene
Some active
Some active

PreviousNext

Return to Developer Talk