Atomic Game Engine (MIT Urho3D Fork)

Announcements and news updates to your projects using Urho3D.
Forum rules
If you have images or videos, you can attach them in the showcase post. Please use small thumbnail as link to original media resources.
When you post in this forum, you have to agree that Urho3D main website as well as the Facebook page have the permission to republish your post with all the related images or videos. The original images must have width larger than 890px for best viewing result in all the supported viewports by main website.

Atomic Game Engine (MIT Urho3D Fork)

PostPosted by jenge » 08 Dec 2014, 16:46

UPDATE: We've released the Atomic Game Engine under the MIT license on GitHub, github.com/AtomicGameEngine

Hello cadaver and team!

Firstly, I must say incredible work on Urho3D. It is simply a joy for development. Great job on the core, rendering, and integrating so many awesome FOSS projects! :)

I've been hacking on Urho in my spare time for the last couple years. I made a Unity3D exporter, a Quake2 Renderer, hacked up some emscripten support, and a bunch of other prototype-y things that never saw the light of day.

A month ago, I decided to fork and start the "Atomic Game Engine" project. The focus of Atomic is to be able to use Javascript and C/C++ to ship games on Desktop, Mobile, and WebGL.

UPDATE: The Atomic Game Engine is now Open Source under the permissive MIT license! :shock:

Atomic Game Engine 2016 Video Reel

Update: Game From Scratch Preview

Thanks again and looking forward to showing more progress, soon! You can follow the project on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AtomicGEngine

- Josh Engebretson
THUNDERBEAST GAMES, LLC
Last edited by jenge on 04 Dec 2016, 01:35, edited 13 times in total.
jenge
Some active
Some active

Re: Atomic Game Engine

PostPosted by cadaver » 09 Dec 2014, 09:44

Thanks for sharing!

I would strongly suspect that some of the changes like Emscripten support do end back up in mainline Urho.
cadaver
Urho3D author
Urho3D author

PostPosted by aster2013 » 09 Dec 2014, 12:22

Cool, it looks awesome.
BTW: Can you share your sample code and assets? If you can, I want to add a Lua script game sample based on your code in Urho3D.
aster2013
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by jenge » 09 Dec 2014, 14:32

@cadaver: That would be great. I'll get the licensing sorted out soon (it'll be either MIT or Apache).

@aster2013: Thanks! Yes, I pulled the assets from opengameart (http://opengameart.org/content/space-ga ... k-extended) and the explosion is from an XNA example (which I think is also fine to redistribute). The scripts use the first pass of our Javascript component model, so they are already due for a refactor. You could probably do a more Urho-centric version of the game. The most current scripts are in the editor repository, I need to make an examples/tutorials repo which is nothing but the example scripts.
jenge
Some active
Some active

PostPosted by jenge » 15 Dec 2014, 04:21

I published an update video on the progress this week.

- Josh Engebretson
THUNDERBEAST GAMES, LLC
jenge
Some active
Some active

PostPosted by friesencr » 15 Dec 2014, 05:20

Looks awesome Josh! I am really looking forward to see where throw your opinions. Urho's lack of strong opinions on structure and lack of turn key components seem like a really great place to round of some our edges. For instance we have had quite a few suggestions to create a trigger component in Urho. We have always suggested that you can make your own prefab and thus don't supply a trigger. Also the Nvidia Shield has a tegra 4 and not a 3.
friesencr
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by jenge » 15 Dec 2014, 05:29

Thanks!

Ah yes, I have a Nexus here with a tegra 3, got it confused in the heat of recording video :) I really like the Shield, great piece of hardware!

- Josh
jenge
Some active
Some active

PostPosted by friesencr » 15 Dec 2014, 05:37

jenge wrote:Thanks!

Ah yes, I have a Nexus here with a tegra 3, got it confused in the heat of recording video :) I really like the Shield, great piece of hardware!

- Josh

Yeah I love my Shield. I got an early run and have some issues with thumb stick dead zones and the clicky dpad but other than that it is such a cool little device. The screen, speakers, and ergonomics trounce any other handheld. I have an Ouya which has the Tegra 3 and the Tegra 3 struggles. I can't wait for the Sheild Portable 2 with full gles 3 support. Hello Dolphin!
friesencr
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by buhb11 » 25 Dec 2014, 15:06

Hello,I`ve been tracking the progress of this engine,so far so good!But to be honest with you I cant wait one more day without testing it! Please make me a gift for this holidays and leave the page from github because I`m ready to start developing in it! Thanks :roll:
buhb11
New user
New user

PostPosted by Hevedy » 25 Dec 2014, 15:59

jenge wrote:
I tried to keep the video brief and for a wider audience, so only touch on the open source aspect of the project. I am in the process of setting up a blog to talk about the core tech, including Urho3D.

The plan is for the runtime to be MIT, so it will also be available to fork, pull request, etc. You can actually already find it in the Urho3D forks if you're interested.

Thanks again and looking forward to showing more progress, soon! You can follow the project on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AtomicGEngine

The tools & editor are private ?
Hevedy
Active user
Active user

Next

Return to Showcase