Terrain Editor

Announcements and news updates to your projects using Urho3D.
Forum rules
If you have images or videos, you can attach them in the showcase post. Please use small thumbnail as link to original media resources.
When you post in this forum, you have to agree that Urho3D main website as well as the Facebook page have the permission to republish your post with all the related images or videos. The original images must have width larger than 890px for best viewing result in all the supported viewports by main website.

Re: Terrain Editor

PostPosted by Lichi » 25 Feb 2016, 22:47

George wrote:Hi
Can you post a sample project using this?

thanks

You have to compile the source and replace the file located at "Data/LuaScripts/terraineditUIOriginal.lua"
(don't forget to update the bind_anl.cpp and BindTerrainEdit.cpp using tolua++ tool)
PS: here's the new file, i forgot to edit some lines: http://pastebin.com/V1dcvuDh
PS2: works everithing except the filters, i could not fix the error :/

Update:
bind_anl.cpp: http://pastebin.com/JCtXsF0q
BindTerrainEdit.cpp: http://pastebin.com/73QQ9Hdr
Lichi
Have some posts
Have some posts

PostPosted by JTippetts » 29 Mar 2016, 02:13

I've updated the project to build with the latest head. I've also updated to the latest version of the Accidental Noise Library for the filters. I am currently in the process of performing the long-procrastinated UI updates I had started working on, including proper load/save/new dialogs. I'm also re-working the filters system a bit, to make it easier to use. Note that it has been several months since I worked on it, so I'm currently unaware of which parts are horribly broken. If anyone runs across anything, let me know, and I'll try to fix as I get reacquainted with the codebase.
JTippetts
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by weitjong » 29 Mar 2016, 03:09

That's good news. Thanks in advance.
YaoWT - Leave no window unbroken ♪ (^。^) 
weitjong
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted by JTippetts » 30 Mar 2016, 00:03

I've pushed some commits that add basic save/load functionality for the heightmap and the 2 blend maps. Right now, they are disconnected bits accessed via a menu in the upper left corner, since there isn't as yet any kind of unifying project structure for a terrain. Each button opens a FileSelector to complete the selected operation. At some point, I imagine I'll implement a project structure that can collect a terrain, its material selection and its blend maps into a single data description that can be loaded and saved, rather than forcing the user to load and save each image (heightmap, blend 1 and blend 2) individually as at present.

There are some bugs. Loading a blend map that is a different dimension from the current can cause a little bit of weirdness. I'm not too interested in tracking that down exactly, since the way I'm handling some things is going to change in the near future.
JTippetts
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by JTippetts » 30 Mar 2016, 05:20

I've been fiddling with the terrain textures a little bit today. In the process, I wrote up a journal entry at my devlog about a process I use to create stony-soil dirt textures for terrain: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/33/entry-22 ... e-systems/

The technique uses Blender particle systems, and Blender Cycles node setups to facilitate baking AO/displacement/normal from a particle system. If anyone is interested, feel free to check it out. Some of the results can be seen in recent commits of the terrain editor, and the devlog entry contains a link to the .blend file used to generate one of the dirt textures.
JTippetts
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by JTippetts » 31 Mar 2016, 18:34

I've been re-working the filters UI. I added a DropDownList option type to allow selecting from a list of options. To demonstrate it, the Generate Noise Heightmap and Generate Noise Blend Layer filters were added (replacing some earlier filters). The new filters use a drop-down list to select a noise function type for generating a heightmap or a blend layer, respectively.

Image of the filter drop-down selection:
http://i.imgur.com/XchuPU4.jpg

I implemented some performance fixes to speed up the process of generating a heightmap or blend layer map from a noise kernel, eliminating some redundancy and taking advantage of the ANL option USETHREAD in order to use multi-threading during kernel mapping.

I'm still working on how I want to handle file handling: save, load, new. Common sense would dictate that I implement a project structure of sorts, and encapsulate all of the various data (heightmap, blend maps, brush settings, material settings, etc...), so I'm working on a design for that. Also working on designs for the tool bar, and a rework of the brush dialog and the terrain layer selection dialog. (Man, I hate UI development. Hate it.)
JTippetts
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by JTippetts » 01 Apr 2016, 03:49

A shot showing some of the textures I've been creating:

JTippetts
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by JTippetts » 06 Apr 2016, 22:36

I've updated the tri-planar 8-type editing shader to use texture arrays. This eliminates the hackish texture-atlas method, with all its drawbacks, and simplifies the specification of terrain tile sets. Sadly, it doesn't work for D3D9. I've kept the D3D9 path in the HLSL shader for now, though currently there is some stuff in LuaScripts/terraineditor.lua that needs to be un-commented in order to make the D3D9 path work again. And... uh... I actually haven't tested to see if that path works. But anyway...

Edit:

I've also update the terrain brush UI to allow brush selection based on texture swatches. The brush UI provides a preview pane and a grid of terrain layers to choose from. Here is a shot of the new brush UI:

JTippetts
Active user
Active user

PostPosted by Dal » 06 Sep 2016, 23:20

This doesn't seem to work with the latest engine again... or at least I can't get it to work. :(
Dal
New user
New user

Previous

Return to Showcase